There are key steps to successfully renting a property.
Prepare your finances - there are certain costs in excess to the rent. These are:
- Holding Deposit - this is taken when you decide on a property. This is one week’s rent (where rent is below £50,000 pa).
- Tenancy Security Deposit - paid when you move in (includes the one week’s holding deposit).
- As a rule of thumb you need an income of 30 x rent per calendar month. This can be single or joint income.
- You need to find the property that is right for you. Register yourself with letting agents and on the property portals such as rightmove & zoopla. Start your search 6-8 weeks prior to intending to commence a tenancy.
- Start viewing properties that interest you. The market moves fast, so act quickly!
- Tenancy Applications - The good news is that this can be undertaken remotely. We have an on-line system where you can make payments, upload documents and read and sign the lease. You will need a good credit history*, the right to rent in the UK and confirmation of earnings.
*If you do not have a clear credit history, it may be possible to proceed with a guarantor.
The Tenancy Agreement and moving in - once you have passed referencing and a move in date is agreed, the Tenancy Agreement will be prepared. This document sets out the terms of your tenancy and is a must read!
Once signed you and your landlord are legally bound. You now pay your first month’s rent. The deposit will be lodged in the appropriate scheme.
With some properties we can offer a zero deposit option. This costs one week’s rent and is effectively an insurance policy.
Inventory - This is the condition of the property and contents at move in. The inventory consists of both photographs and a written description. You have 7 days after commencing the tenancy to dispute any items.
You will receive other documentation. This could include a copy of a gas safety certificate, electrical check certificate, energy performance certificate and other prescribed documentation.
Where we are managing, we will from time-to-time make an appointment to inspect the property. This is an opportunity for you to ask any questions or raise any maintenance issues.
If you have any items needing repair such as a washing machine, we have an on line Fault Reporting system.
On move in day you will have an appointment at our office to collect your keys.